Virtual Bridges which is a provider of desktop and enterprise virtualization solutions for business, announced today the release of a major upgrade to its Win4Lin Pro product.
Win4Lin Pro Desktop allows Linux users to run Windows applications from the security of the Linux desktop.
Win4Lin Virtual Desktop Server is the enterprise/SMB product for delivering Windows applications on thin clients via a Linux server.
The Win4Lin Pro 3.5 upgrade includes new functionality, support for newer Linux distributions, performance improvements and a roll-up of the maintenance releases since Win4Lin Pro 3 which was released in May 2006.
Major highlights of Win4Lin 3.5:
· Support for newer distributions, including Ubuntu Edgy Eft
· Improved support for Novell SuSE Linux
· Better laptop support, including transparent support for variable-speed CPUs
· Enhanced features including new pop-up menu for sending special keys to the guest OS
· Improved documentation
· Maintenance fixes roll-up from post-3.0 fixes
"Win4Lin Pro continues to improve to meet the needs of organizations looking for alternatives to the Microsoft Windows status quo" said Jim Curtin, president and CEO of Virtual Bridges.
"Users are looking for application equivalency in their desktop alternatives. Win4Lin Pro and Win4Lin Virtual Desktop Server provide the best way to complete the transition without sacrificing hard-to-replace legacy Windows applications."
"Win4Lin Pro 3.5 reflects our commitment to current and emerging Linux platforms, as well as a solid step forward in robustness and usability, said Leo Reiter, CTO, Virtual Bridges. "It is a strong evolution of the excellent 3.0 release."
Win4Lin Pro Desktop features include:
· Runs Windows Applications and Desktop on Linux at near-native speed
· One-Click-to-Windows provides extremely easy installation of Windows
· Ability to display applications in either full desktop mode or "floating" mode
· Windows malware resistance through "renewable" Windows architecture
· Full support for audio playback and recording
· Requires no patches to the kernel
· Support for AMD and Intel 64-bit hosts
· Runs applications as intended in "real" Windows
· Full integration between the Linux and Windows filesystems for user documents and settings
Win4Lin Pro Desktop was recently picked as the winner in a LinuxWorld Magazine face-off review against VMware WorkstationTM and was the winner of the prestigious LinuxWorld Expo Award for Best Enterprise Integration Product.