Truphone, the mobile internet network operator, has added a suite of advanced features to its beta VoIP service for mobile phones, and simultaneously extended until the end of 2007 its offer of free calls to 40 countries.
Truphone's new capabilities demonstrate the distinct advantages of its true IP approach over 'bridging VoIP' services that ultimately have to rely on traditional telephony.
* The new SMS over IP capability brings the prospect of unlimited free SMS messages between on-net Truphone users, with a flat-rate tariff of GBP0.07/USD0.15 to all other regular mobile numbers worldwide.
* Presence functionality enables users to know exactly when they can make a free call or send a free text message to another Truphone user.
* Smart log-on means a Truphone-enabled handset now 'takes care of its owner' by automatically connecting to previously used Wi-Fi access points.
* Truphone over 3G is made available at the request of customers with suitable 3G tariffs. While this allows low cost VoIP calls from many more locations, Truphone still recommends VoIP over Wi-Fi as being of higher call quality and less susceptible to high charges data charges.
* Multi-SIM capability means Truphone supports travellers who take international SIM cards with them abroad. Calls to their Truphone number will reach them whichever SIM they're using at the time.
* Truphone 3.0 also brings compatibility with a greater number of routers, reducing the likelihood of port-blocking; a simplified, more intuitive installation process; and a significant number of bug-fixes.
* Existing Truphone customers and anyone signing up for Truphone before September 30th can make free Truphone calls to 40 countries until the end of 2007.
* Anyone can get Truphone by sending a text message with the word 'Tru' to +44 7624 000000.