Star Wars Galaxies Will Go Offline On December 15

Sony has announced shut down of Massively Multi-player Online (MMO) game Star Wars Galaxies by the end of this year.

Sony Online Entertainment, along with Lucas Arts, has informed its users that Star Wars Galaxies will go offline on December 15 this year. The company informed gamers through a message displayed on the website, via email as well as posts on various forums dedicated to the game, the BBC reports.

Sony said that closure has come about due to end of contract to publish the Star Wars title and not due to a decline in the number of users playing the game.

"We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we've received from each and every one over the course of the past eight years,” Sony said in the statement thanking all the fans of the game worldwide.

According to the chief of Sony Online Entertainment John Smedley, the end of the contract was the right time to call off the game as a new Star Wars title, Bioware's The Old Republic, prepares to launch in the near future.

The Old Republic will be an MMO set in the time before the Star Wars movies take place. So far it has received good reviews from people who have played preview versions.