Mobile payments firm judoPay has announced the final round winners of its free payment processing competition for UK app developer startups.
The five startups will each receive £100,000 in free credit and debit card processing through Judo's backend mobile payments system to help the firms to turn a profit on their Android and Apple smartphone apps.
judoPay said the following five firms were chosen for their "unique business proposition and potential market appeal". They are:
- Grab, a mobile ordering platform for restaurants which allows ordering and payment through four touches and a PIN.
- Jumpin, a community-focused taxi booking and sharing mobile app made exclusively for students. Ps.Postcards, an app that allows users to create and send postcards anywhere in the world.
- Boppl, a queue skipping service with real-time mobile ordering and payment for bars, cafes and restaurants. Independent London, an app which locates independent shops across the capital and facilitates payment.
- Independent London, which assists independent shoppers while on the go and locates unique London shops and allows users to pay in a few taps
- Ps.Postcards, helping users choose beautiful postcards from the gallery or create their own for Ps.Postcards to mail as real keepsake postcards to anyone's front door, anywhere in the world
Dennis Jones, CEO of judo said: "We were overwhelmed by the quality of applicants for our competition. The talent for app development in the UK is immense and the selection process was difficult to complete."
"The biggest challenge facing app developers is how to process payment transactions and how to include card acceptance into a product that that is sold into other businesses. We are offering a solution to this challenge - a ready-made back end system that takes the headache away from developers so they can focus on the functionality of their apps."