Parallels pulled out the final release version of Parallels Workstation 2.2 for Windows and Linux, the company's easy to use, cost-effective desktop virtualization software.
The final release - following a successful, multi-stage beta program involving thousands of users worldwide - will be available as a free upgrade to registered Parallels Workstation 2.0 and 2.1 customers.
Parallels Workstation 2.2 enables users to simultaneously run any version of Windows, including Beta and RC builds of Windows Vista, any Linux distribution, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OS/2, eComStation or DOS, in a stable, secure virtual machine on any computer running Windows 2000, XP or 2003, or any version of Linux.
No re-booting or partitioning is required, and users never need to shut down or leave their home desktop to access a virtual machine.
Parallels Workstation 2.2 offers a number of key improvements:
* Guest OS support for Windows Vista Beta1, Beta2, and RC1, as well as NetBSD and OpenBSD
* Stronger support for Intel Virtualization Technology and full support for AMD Secure Virtual Machine Technology (SVM). These technologies, which are included in most new Intel and AMD processors, drive superior virtual machine performance and stability.
* Improved USB support, including stronger support for Windows Mobile 2005 devices
* A re-designed, more user-friendly interface
* Improved overall performance and stability
* A Shared Folders utility that lets users easily share files and folders between operating systems and application programs
* Support for dynamic primary OS video modes, custom video modes and 32 bpp video modes
* Full Unicode support lets users name files in any language
* Better networking support, including WiFi support for Linux primary OSes, a default network adapter that automatically bridges to the most readily available network, and the ability to change network and bridge type "on the fly"
* Better sound recording and playback
Registered Parallels customers will receive the final version of Workstation 2.2 automatically if the auto-update features of Parallels Workstation is enabled.
Alternatively, users can manually download and install the final release version at http://www.parallels.com/en/download/workstation/. Customers should note that upgrading to the final release version of Workstation 2.2 will not require re-installing any guest OSes or applications.
New users can download and evaluate Workstation 2.2 free for 15 days at http://www.parallels.com/en/download/workstation/.