Christmas retailers are stocking up on the products sure to be this year’s top sellers. Sales figures released by GfK reveal that the top 5 consumer durable products for Christmas 2006 will be:
1) Mobile Phones – with expected monthly sales of over 3 million units, an estimated £167 million will be spent on mobiles and accessories in Dec 2006.
2) Satellite Navigation Units– GfK anticipates spending on this market to be over £80mn this Christmas with over 200,000 units sold. This is 60% growth on last year’s £50 million spent on Sat Nav units.
3) Laptops – GfK forecasts 300,000 units to be sold in December, which will surpass the £200 million mark. This compares to £177 million in December 2005.
4) MP3 – In 2005 nearly 1 million MP3 players were sold in the fortnight before Christmas. In 2006 GfK are expecting similar levels of sales.
5) Shavers – Sales in shavers peak in early December as women plan ahead to do their Christmas Shopping. Half a million units are expected to be sold by the 25th December.