DACS is a light-weight single sign-on and role-based security system for web servers and server-based software. It provides web site administrators and software developers with:
* extended authentication and role-based access control capabilities for Apache-based web services, CGI programs, and virtually any program or script;
* a wide array of modular and efficient authentication methods, including two-factor authentication and hardware tokens;
* powerful, rule-based authorization checking that can be applied transparently to any resource or activity (such as web services, web content, and program features) by Apache-based web services and CGI programs, or virtually any program or script;
* programmable and highly configurable commands and web services;
* an Apache 2.0/2.2 module, suite of CGI programs, and collection of command line tools for Unix-type platforms, such as Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.