Geocaching is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then share the geocache's existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit can then try to locate the geocache.
Easy Steps to Geocaching
- Register on geocaching.com for a free accountHERE
- Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."
- Enter your postal code and click "search."
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS unit.
- Use your GPS unit to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
Before You Go
- Find ageocachethat will meet your immediate goals. Are you looking for a difficult hike or an easy adventure?
- If you're headed out on the trail, pack any needed supplies such as water, food and extra clothing. Bring both a map and a compass. Check geocache terrain and difficulty ratings.
- For safety, let someone know where you are going.
- Do not forget yourGPS unitand extra batteries.
Get Out and Play
- Mark your car as a waypoint to ensure your safe return.
- Be mindful of the environment, practiceCache In Trash Out
- Bring friends and family with you; sharing the experience can be very rewarding. Pets are usually welcome, too!
- Remember that distances can be deceiving. A geocache can take longer to find depending on trails, rivers and other obstacles.
Share Your Experience
- If you take something from the geocache, leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your experience in the geocache logbook.
- Place your geocaching stories and photos online
Want to learn more… here’s some useful web links…
This post was contributed by eXpansys plc, the owner of the eXpansys brand, the largest wireless technology online retail business in Europe and the USA.