As hard drive capacities increase, the power required to run those drives increases as well. WD Caviar Green drives make it possible for energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.
The WD 2TB CAVIAR GREEN GP500 SATA-II has a 32MB buffer Cache and four 500GB platters; It comes with the following features:
- Reduced power consumption - WD has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared to standard desktop drives with the combination of WD's IntelliSeek™, NoTouch™, and IntelliPower™ technologies.
- Helps enable eco-friendly PCs - WD Caviar Green drives yield an average drive power savings of 4-5 watts over standard desktop drives making it possible for our energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.
- Cool and quiet - GreenPower™ technology yields lower operating temperatures for increased reliability and low acoustics for ultra-quiet PCs and external drives.
- Massive capacity - Capacities up to 2 TB offer the most available capacity for storage-intensive programs and space-hungry operating systems, like Window Vista®, with plenty of room left over for photos, music, and video.
- Perfect for external drives - External drive manufacturers can eliminate the need for a fan in a high-capacity product with a WD Caviar Green drive, the coolest and quietest in its class.
- IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.
- IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise, and vibration. View demo >
- NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
- Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - Employs PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
- StableTrac™ - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (2 TB models only)
- Low power spin-up - WD Caviar Green drives consume less current during startup allowing lower peak loads.
- Advanced power technology - Electronic components deliver best-in-class low power consumption for reduced power requirements and increased reliability.
This is the world's highest capacity hard disk drive at 2TB, but it would make sense if you bought two of them and RAIDed them to avoid any catastrophic data losses.
Buy it for £192.84 delivered from Lambda-tek.