An exploding Apple Powerbook, which rocked a marketing company based in London, could have had a disastrous impact had it happened during a flight or on a user's lap.
The Inquirer reported that the laptop, which was identified as 17-inch G4 Powerbook model, literally burst into flames (up to 2m high said eye witnesses) in a carpet of smoke.
Photos sent to the online website show a badly charred area near to where the laptop battery is supposed to be; the latter had molten inside the laptop.
It looks thought that the company did not return back its laptop under the battery exchange program that Apple offered and affected batteries in Powerbooks sold between October 2003 and August 2006.
Apple wrote that it was "voluntarily recalling the affected batteries and has initiated a worldwide exchange program to provide eligible customers with a new replacement battery, free of charge."
The batteries were manufactured by Sony Corporation of Japan and were found to pose a safety risk that may result in overheating under rare circumstances.
Go To Page 2 for our comments and more related links
The incident is reminiscent of the series of battery-related issues that affected Sony and Dell laptops in the past and caused both companies to recall their products at the cost of tens of millions of dollars. Of course, a few days ago, NTT Docomo said that they would stop selling RIM Blackberry Bold Smartphones... because of overheating batteries.