Skip to main content

Apple Cautions About Electric Shock From Earbuds

Apple on Monday cautioned that iPhone and iPod users could face a “small and quick” electric shock through their earbuds due to generation of static electric charge in them.

People using headphones in regions where dry air prevail are said to be more vulnerable to receiving an electric shock inside their ears, according to a warning published by the company on its website.

In a post, Apple claims that getting a shock from a pair of earbuds doesn’t simply mean that there is an issue with the device or earbuds. However, the company asserted that such an experience is akin to “dragging your feet across a carpet and receiving a static shock by touching a door knob”.

“This condition is not limited to Apple hardware and static can potentially build up on almost any hardware and could be discharged using any brand of earbuds”, Apple claimed in its warning post.

However, Apple’s post didn’t say what actually made the company issue such warning, but a series of discussions on its support site clearly showed that a few users had raised concerns about the matter.

In order to minimize the risks of shock, users must avoid using headsets in very dry environments or having contact with a grounded unpainted metal piece before inserting the earbuds.