The news that Tesco Mobile will be stocking the iPhone could well be the best news this year for those looking to get the iPhone but are reluctant to pay top money for the iconic Apple smartphone.
Here are five reasons why Tesco Mobile and the iPhone coming together is some fantastic news for prospective iPhone customers and Tesco Mobile's two million customers.
(1) Tesco Points. Each pound spent on products and services sold by Tesco gives you back 1p. At worse, this is equivalent to a one percent cashback but you can always use them for a wide range of purchases including AirMiles. Spending £400 per annum on an iPhone means £16 in clubcard purchases.
(2) Stock. Tesco has many outlets; in fact it has around 3,800 of them in the UK with each of them employing 110 staff on average. This means that prospective customers will likely find it easier to get iPhone stock closer them. Poor stock management has been a thorn in the side of Apple since its release in the UK.
(3) Promotions. Tesco can afford to offer great promotions like £20 off PAYG mobile phones, 1000 free clubcard points altogether worth around £60 in all. Something that not O2 or Orange have never offered.
(4) Tariffs. Tesco has been the first one to offer an unlimited mobile phone contract for £30, albeit one with a £500 monthly limit. Orange with its unlimited £125 per month package released earlier this month was the second one.
(5) O2 Network. Tesco shares the masts with with the original iPhone network, O2. This not only means that network reception will be as good as for hundreds of thousands of iPhone users in the UK but also that O2 users should be able to use their iPhones with Tesco SIM cards.