Bag of rice revives sodden iPhone

Many of us have had to live that horrifying moment when you have to watch powerless as a treasured gadget spirals towards an open toilet pan.

The ignominy of having to fish your phone, or your MP3 player, out of the crapper is probably punishment enough for your momentary lapse of concentration, but the knowledge that your battery-powered device is almost certainly a goner will really put a crimp in your day.

Most of us know that, faced with such a watery dilemma, the best thing to do is switch the soggy gadget off and immediately remove the battery. A couple of days nestled in the warmth of the airing cupboard or atop a warm radiator might bring your electronic gizmo back to life, but you will also have to do a lot of praying in the meantime.

But what do you do if you happen to own a waterlogged iPhone or iPod, neither of which have removable batteries? (Damn you Steve Jobs... you never took toilet-based calamities into consideration, did you?).

One such calamity beset blogger Erin Thompson who reports on the Seattle Weekly music site Reverb that a random encounter with a telecoms employee solved her problem.

"Last night I dropped my phone in the toilet, and it wouldn't even turn on afterwards," she writes. "I was [in a video shop] whining about how I was going to have to buy a completely new iPhone, and there was a man there who just happened to work for AT&T.

"I asked him if I should try to blow-dry my phone, and he said: 'Turn it off completely, put it in a bag of rice, and leave it there for a couple hours. The rice will absorb the moisture'.

"So, I went home, got out a bag of rice, and stuck my phone in there. I took it out about an hour later, tried to turn it on, and the screen kind of lamely flickered at me. But at least it was turning on, so I stuck it back in there. A couple hours later, before I was about to go to sleep, I took it out and turned it on... AND IT TOTALLY WORKED."

We'd suggest that you that you show a little more patience than Ms Thompson and leave the device in-situ for a at least a couple of hours, if not overnight, and there's no guarantee that this will work, but it's worth a try, innit?