Skip to main content

iPhone Apps Get New Apple iAd Advertising

iPhone application developers have begun to integrate Apple's new iAd mobile advertising platform into their applications.

The move follows the release yesterday of Apple's new iOS 4 operating system, which comes with support for the new iAd mobile advertising platform, and will allow Apple gain revenue from adverts placed in the numerous applications for its iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices.

Avantar, a developer of search applications for the iPhone including OneTap Movies, Showtimes, Munch and Yellow Pages, is the first to update its applications to support adverts served by the iAd system.

Apple's new advertising platform, developed using Quattro Wireless technology, will go live from 1 July and has been designed to deliver highly interactive and media rich adverts to Apple devices.

The company has made it clear that the application developers will be given 60 per cent of revenue generated by adverts that appear on their applications. Apple will receive the remaining 40 per cent.