A leaked script used by Apple customer support agents has reinforced the company's insistence that there's nothing wrong with the iPhone 4.
Spotted on the always reliable Boy Genius Report (opens in new tab), the script which is used to placate angry iPhone users when they call to complain about dropped signals, maintains that the iPhone 4 has the best wireless performance ever in an Apple handset.
Customers are being told to avoid covering the black strip on the bottom left edge (opens in new tab) of the handset's case whilst making calls, or to buy a protective case which prevents the two antenna components built into the case being short-circuited by greasy fingers.
Agents are being told not to perform warranty service on affected phones unless they show poor reception whilst not being held in the hand.
The script also points out in no uncertain terms that punters will not be given a free Bumper case to keep them quiet, as some sources have reported.
Here's the script in full:
1. Keep all of the positioning statements in the BN handy – your tone when delivering this information is important.
a. The iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. Our testing shows that iPhone 4’s overall
antenna performance is better than iPhone 3GS.
b. Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain places will reduce its reception. This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone
3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world.
c. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 3GS, avoid covering the bottom-right side with your hand.
d. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 4, avoid covering the black strip in the lower-left corner of the metal band.
e. The use of a case or Bumper that is made out of rubber or plastic may improve wireless performance by keeping your
hand from directly covering these areas.
2. Do not perform warranty service. Use the positioning above for any customer questions or concerns.
3. Don’t forget YOU STILL NEED to probe and troubleshoot. If a customer calls about their reception while the phone is sitting on a table (not being held) it is not the metal band.
4. ONLY escalate if the issue exists when the phone is not held AND you cannot resolve it.
5. We ARE NOT appeasing customers with free bumpers – DON’T promise a free bumper to customers.
We're a bit clueless as what a 'BN Statement' might be. We're sure you'll fill us in using the comments section below.