The Chinese government has rejected claims made by Google that it was disrupting access to its Gmail service in the country.
Jiang Yu, a spokesperson for China's foreign ministry said during a press conference that the accusations made by Google were 'unacceptable'.
“This is an unacceptable accusation,” he said, but failed to elaborate on his comments. On Monday, Google continued its ongoing criticism of China's internet governing policies, claiming the government was disrupting access to Gmail and making it look like a technical problem in order to hide its involvement.
The search engine giant accused China's ruling Communist Party of partially blocking access to Gmail, especially for Chinese activists battling for human rights in the Asian country.
“There is no technical issue on our side. We have checked extensively. This is a Government blockage carefully designed to look like the problem is with Gmail,” a Google spokesperson had said.
The Chinese government is said to fiercely control the information shared and made available on the web, blocking websites like Facebook and Twitter.
Last year, in an act of defiance against the Chinese authorities, Google moved its operations to Hong Kong thereby making its search engine impervious to China's web censorship laws. Prior to that Google's corporate network had been targeted by a series of sophisticated cyber attacks mounted, it said, by Chinese hackers.