Skip to main content

OmniVision To Supply 90% Of Image Sensors For iPhone 5

OmniVision will provide Apple with around 90% of all the CMOS image sensors (CIS) the company needs for manufacturing the iPhone 5, while Sony will supply the other 10% CIS orders, DigiTimes (opens in new tab)reports citing market sources.

The same sources have confirmed the rumours that the next iPhone will indeed feature an 8MP camera.

Back in April, it was suggested that Sony would supply Apple with 8MP camera sensors for the iPhone 5 but Howard Stringer, Sony’s CEO, stated that the company had difficulties in meeting Apple’s orders after the Japanese earthquake.

OmniVision will place orders for 260,000 CIS units at foundry partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company in Q3, which represents a 40% order increase, sources revealed. The Taiwanese company will manufacture the CISs using backside illumination process technology.

As for the power amplifiers used in the WCDMA version of the iPhone 5, three of them will be supplied by Avago, while TriQuint Semiconductor will provide the other two.

Just like OmniVision, Avago too will be blessed by orders it has landed from Apple, the company will manufacture three of the five PAs used in the WCDMA version of the next iPhone, with the other two being provided by TriQuint Semiconductor. Avaga could report a 15-20% increase in handset segment revenues in Q4, the sources claimed.

Radu is the founder of, and has worked as a freelance writer for ITProPortal, as well as having been blogging around since 2004. He is interested in anything Apple as well as gaming and mobile applications.