The second ranking military official of the United States disclosed on Thursday that at least 24,000 computer files were stolen from a key defence contractor during March this year, by a foreign intelligence agency.
According to the Deputy Defense Secretary William Lynn who revealed this rather shocking information to the media, the nation’s cyber-defence infrastructure has become “too predictable”, and it has also failed so far to penalise the perpetrators behind such attacks.
He also said that this theft of these 24,000 odd files from the unidentified defence supplier is “significant” and the largest one ever.
"It is a significant concern that over the past decade, terabytes of data have been extracted by foreign intruders from corporate networks of defense companies," Deputy Defense Secretary William Lynn said, AFP reports.
"The cyber exploitation being perpetrated against the defense industry cuts across a wide swath of crucial military hardware, extending from missile tracking systems and satellite navigation devices to UAVs and the Joint Strike Fighter," he added.
Though Mr. Lynn declined to point fingers at anyone in particular, it has been suggested that the data could have been stolen by hackers sponsored by the notorious PLA of China.