LogMeIn Rescue is one of the most reliable choice when it comes to advanced or supersized remote connections, between customers and companies. After a brief introduction of LogMeIn yesterday, today we've thought to extend your knowledge and show how easy it is to install and use the LogMeIn Rescue tool, even for a normal user. For the purpose of this guide we've chosen a free trial account and replicated a client using a virtual machine. As this post matures, we will guide you through the steps of downloading and installing the application, all the way to actually using it.
Installing LogMeIn Rescue:
1. First of all, you will need to sign up for a free trial account. They will mainly ask some contact information and once you've completed the form, an activation link will be sent on the email address you used.
2. Click on the activation link found in the email from LogMeIn in your inbox/junk folder (if in case your anti-spam system does detect this as a spam) and then login into your account by typing the password and clicking on the "Start My Trial" button.
3. Choose what type of client suits you best (desktop application or browser based) and download it. We went for the desktop app. Remember this is the Technician Suite used by technical team to patch things up. The customer side will be discussed later on.
4. Double click the setup client, choose the language and just go for the Next-> Next procedure until the wizard finishes.
Using LogMeIn Rescue:
1. Launch the application and type the email and password you've used on step 1 to login.
2. Now, we shall start a session. Click on the "New Session" button from the upper menu and then click on "Create PIN code".
3. Tell the customer to go to LogMeIn123.com and enter the PIN that's been generated in the above window. By clicking on the "connect to technician" button, the customer will be prompted to download and install the Rescue Applet.
4. Once the customer finishes installing the app, a session ID will appear in the LogMeIn Rescue menu, which you can pick up by selecting it and then pressing the green "Start Session" button.
5. The session will become active and will give the technician remote access to the user system. Further on, the navigation is easy and interface is intuitive. You can request system information by going to System Info -> Request Information, get control of the desktop by going to Customer Desktop -> Launch Remote Control Session or use the File Manager tab to transfer files between the two parts. One feature that blew us away was the Reboot panel, where you can shut down the computer found on the other side and when it powers ON, the session reactivates itself.
So, I reckon you won't be having problems from now on. As you've seen from the lines above, this handy program can be used by large companies and home customers alike, without the need of advanced computer skills.
Do give LogMeIn Rescue a try to explore all the features that are available.