Skip to main content

A Second Self-combusting iPhone 4, This Time in Brazil

Last week, a red-hot, smoking iPhone 4 caused panic among passengers on an Australian plane; luckily, the flight attendants managed to extinguish the handset before anyone got hurt.

Now, there is a second report of a self-combusting iPhone 4 from another part of the world which could have ended tragically, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

The similar incident involving the same brand occurred in Brazil when an iPhone was left for overnight charging; after a while it started to smoke and then throw sparks 15 inches away from the owner's face.

The owner, Ayla Mota, managed to wake up in time to unplug the iPhone and put out the small fire before anything tragic could occur.

"In the morning, I woke up seconds before witnessed the burning of my iPhone when I saw a lot of sparks and black smoke out of the cell. My room was impregnated with an unbearable smell of smoke!" she said, recounting the incident.

Under the circumstances, it might be worth mentioning that for Brazilian Apple fans, the price of an iPhone 4 is the highest in the world. For an 8 GB version of iPhone 4 it costs more than the equivalent of $900, without a data plan.

The good news, though, is that Apple usually replaces devices that burst into flames for no apparent reason!

Radu has been working as a freelance writer for more than five years and has been blogging around since 2004. He is interested in anything Apple as well as gaming and mobile applications.