The Information Commissioner is considering taking further action against Google over the now infamous Wi-Fi data scandal, even though the ICO closed the case on the matter last year.
The scandal, whereby Google's StreetView cars were found to be collecting data from Wi-Fi networks as they travelled around photographing everywhere, is an affair the search giant hoped it could now draw a line under.
As we reported on Monday, the release of a Federal Communications Commission report showed that not just one, but five engineers were involved in the StreetView Wi-Fi project, and a senior manager was told about it. Google had previously insisted the scheme was purely the work of a single engineer.
Google took the step of publishing the report, stating that, "we decided to voluntarily make the entire document available except for the names of individuals", and adding "we hope that we can now put this matter behind us".
But now the revelations of this FCC report have prompted the ICO to reconsider whether Google might need more than the slap on the wrist it received (with no fine levied, the search giant just had to sign an undertaking to improve privacy policies).
The ICO confirmed to PC Pro that it was indeed possible for such cases to be reopened, and a spokesman said: "We will study the Federal Communication Commission's report and consider what further action, if any, needs to be taken."
Google isn't out of the data woods yet, then.
Source: PC Pro