Skip to main content

Samsung Leads Dual Core Processor Stampede In Smartphone Market

A report published by analysts firm, Strategy Analytics, shows that Samsung Electronics, a subsidiary of Samsung, owned 60 per cent of the dual core smartphone applications processor market in 2011 with a trio of US-based semiconductor companies, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments and Nvidia taking the lion share of the remaining 40 per cent.

Interestingly, Samsung's success can be attributed to the meteoric sales of the Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy smartphone range which, altogether sold tens of millions of units globally and have been powered either by Samsung's own Exynos application processor range or the Samsung-fabbed Apple-designed A5 processors.

Strategy Analytics noted that integrated application processors represented only 10 per cent of dual cores shipped in 2011, a fact that could help Qualcomm, which produces LTE-integrated dual core processors such as the Krait-based Snapdragon MSM8960, to increase its marketshare in 2012.

Dual core processors are likely to become mainstream by the end of the year as ARM's new architecture, the Cortex-A5, penetrates the entry level smartphone market, possibly with the help of Chinese manufacturers such as Alcatel, Huawei or ZTE.

Desire worked at ITProPortal right at the beginning and was instrumental in turning it into the leading publication we all know and love today. He then moved on to be the Editor of TechRadarPro - a position he still holds - and has recently been reunited with ITProPortal since Future Publishing's acquisition of Net Communities.