The Reuters blogging platform has once again been the target of a hack.
The news outlet reported the attack earlier this week. Its website was hacked and a false story was posted, which said Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal had died.
Barb Burg, director of global communications at Reuters, said Wednesday that the company did not post the story, which was immediately deleted from the blog. "We are working to address the problem," she said.
When it reported the hack, Reuters did not know who was behind the attack.
Earlier this month, the news service found itself scrambling to clean up its site following a hack that reported a false interview with Riad al-Asaad, the head of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), posted under journalist Jeffrey Goldfarb's byline.
Reuters reporters use blogging platform WordPress to write and upload stories to the website, though the trouble could stem from the software version the company uses. Mark Jaquith, a member of the WordPress security team, told the Wall Street Journal earlier this month that Reuters was using version 3.1.1, instead of the more current 3.4.1 version, which has been updated to fix holes in its security system.
On 5 August, Reuters also briefly shuttered its @ReutersTech Twitter feed after it had been taken over, renamed, and used to send fake tweets regarding the Syrian rebels, according to Reuters.
Both incidents are still under investigation.
In the aftermath of the 3 August blog hack, Reuters reported that the FSA blamed Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government for the false interview posting, and cited an intensifying cyber conflict between supporters and opponents of al-Assad. But while the "Syrian Electronic Army" did own up to defacing a Harvard University website to post a photo of Assad in a military uniform, there has been no direct link made between the incidents.