The GSMA just nominated more than 150 products for its wide-ranging Global Mobile Awards, the premier annual awards for the mobile-phone industry. The winners will be announced at Mobile World Congress later this month.
So who's on the list? As there are six main categories and a half-dozen subcategories for each one, it's a very long list. Developers and manufacturers nominated themselves for some categories, but in the phone and tablet categories, all nominations had to come from the judges. Here are some of the more consumer-friendly competitions.
- Category 4a, Best Mobile App for Consumers: Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Temple Run, Twitter.
- Category 4b, Best Mobile App for Enterprise: Documents to Go Premium, Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, PayPal.
- Category 4c, Best Overall Mobile App: Dropbox, Flipboard, Sky Sports F1 Companion, Square, Waze.
- Category 5a, Best Smartphone: Apple iPhone 5, HTC Droid DNA, Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Category 5b, Best Feature Phone or Entry Level Phone: Nokia 103, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia Asha 305, Samsung C3312 Duos.
- Category 5d, Best Mobile Tablet: Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Apple iPad mini, Apple iPad (fourth-generation), Asus Transformer Infinity, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.
The Global Mobile Awards 2013 ceremony will be hosted by Little Britain star and Britain's Got Talent! judge David Walliams.
Last year, the best smartphone award went to the Samsung Galaxy S2 The top feature phone was the Nokia C3-00, and the best tablet was the Apple iPad 2.
Who should take home the prizes this year? We'll find out the winners on 26 February.