Skip to main content

Samsung Galaxy Note battery hospitalises man after catching fire

A man, his precious gadget, and fire in the groinal region. Sounds like the beginning of a terrible dirty joke, right?

Yet it's all fact, no fiction in this instance, after a South Korean man sustained second-degree burns when the battery from his Samsung Galaxy Note (vs. Galaxy S3 here) caught fire.

Representatives of Incheon City's Bupyeong Fire Station confirmed that an unidentified man suffered a 1in leg wound after a lithium-ion battery ignited in his trouser pocket. The officials confirmed that that the battery was not lodged in the Galaxy Note prior to the blaze but didn't say whether or not it exploded.

Samsung has said it will not be investigating the incident, which was first reported by Korea's Chosun Ilbo newspaper. The unlucky Incheon resident is thought to be the second victim of a Samsung smartphone fire in the past year.

Lithium-ion batteries like the one that went up in flames over in Korea are popular because of their nippy charging capabilities. However, they are also prone to overheating and have been at the centre of a range of fiery incidents of late.

A number of fires, including the incidents that downed an entire fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, have been linked to lithium-ion units.

In the case of the sky-crawlers, the batteries helped power in-flight electrical systems.