LenovoEMC has unveiled LifeLine 4.0, a new operating system for Iomega-branded Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices.
LifeLine 4.0 will be available for download for StorCenter ix and px NAS customers. The new OS includes several features of particular interest for business users. The new software also bundles in new security features so that only data intended for sharing is accessible online.
New Capabilities and Enhancements
Key features in LifeLine 4.0 include:
- Integrated Virtualization Technology (IVX), which allows running multiple virtual machines (VMs) on Iomega's px12-300r and px12-450r rackmount arrays.
- Improved Active Directory Integration, which includes local authentication mode if a remote Domain Controller is not available and the ability to connect to multiple and secondary Domain Controllers for redundancy.
- Support for 4TB HDDs in the Iomega px series NAS.
- Live snapshot creation for a point-in-time backup of a storage volume.
- SSD Caching for improved performance plus the ability to set RAID on an SSD cache pool for data protection.
"LenovoEMC LifeLine 4.0 improves upon our previous version of LifeLine, bringing advanced computing options and capabilities to our network storage products that organizations of all sizes can benefit from," said Eric Arcese, president and general manager of LenovoEMC. "Businesses today need rock solid, dependable, affordable and innovative network storage, and this new version of LifeLine brings those attributes together with an intuitive menu of choices that can be tailored to the needs of any organization. Existing and new customers will benefit from the latest technology embedded in the new version of LifeLine."
The new OS also includes several enterprise-level security enhancements as well as support for NSF v4, iSCSI security with mutual CHAP authentication, and Twonky Media Server version 7.
LifeLine 4.0 will be available next week as a free download for owners of existing Iomega ix and px series of network storage products at support.lenovoemc.com or iomega.com/support.LenovoEMC. NASes with LifeLine 4.0 already installed are expected to ship in May.