Officials at Guantanamo Bay prison shut down access to wireless Internet service as well as social networks over the weekend amidst concerns about a coordinated cyber attack.
Service has since been restored, an army spokesman confirmed.
As first reported by the AP, service was shut down after hacking group Anonymous threatened to attack the controversial prison's networks. At this point, it does not appear that the group was successful.
"Wi-Fi access and social networks were shut down over the weekend through last night, but are now back online," a spokesman said in an email. "Wireline networks were still used throughout the weekend."
In a video (above) posted to YouTube earlier this month, Anonymous pledged to launch Operation Guantanamo, or OpGTMO, on 17-19 May.
"On May 17 to May 19, to coincide with the 100th day of the hunger strike, we urge everyone to join global actions on the ground and hacktivist protests as well as twitterstorms, email bombs, and fax bombs, in 3 days of nonstop action," the group said.
As of last week, 102 of the 166 prisoners at Guantanamo prison were on a hunger strike, and 30 are being force fed, according to The Huffington Post. Detainees say that the US military mishandled the Quran during cell searches, HuffPo added.
"We are outraged. We, the people and Anonymous, will not allow the most expensive prison on earth to be run without any respect for international laws," the hacking group said in its video. "We stand in solidarity with the Guantanamo hunger strikers. We will shut down Guantanamo."