Skip to main content

The Marmite effect: Businesses either love or hate the cloud

Over half of Europe- and US-based cloud users are "reliant" on the technology, according to new research.

Research firm Frost and Sullivan recently surveyed 1,028 IT decision-makers for its "Future of Cloud Computing Technologies in Enterprises in the United States and Europe" report, and some of the results were rather interesting.

Read more: Public, private, hybrid: Which cloud is best for your business?

57 per cent of participants who make use of the cloud described themselves as "cloud reliant", while the remaining 43 per cent were pretty negative about the technology.

The report also found that the majority of respondents have already migrated over half of their businesses' communications systems to the cloud. Frost and Sullivan expects a quarter to move over 75 per cent of these to the cloud within the next three years.

Email servers and collaborative apps currently top the list when it comes to cloud-based communications systems, with telephony is lagging way behind.

"The share of remote and mobile workers is expected to increase over the next three years and change business technology requirements," said Frost and Sullivan's Karolina Olszewska.

Read more: How much does it cost to move your business to the cloud?

"The cost impact of supporting these new business needs will be felt more intensely by IT decision-makers in the United States than those in Europe.