Skip to main content

Businesses ready to put their full faith in cloud security

cloud
(Image credit: Shutterstock / Ekaphone maneechot)

Whatever skepticism towards cloud-based security IT leaders may have felt in the past, it all seems to be water under the bridge now as businesses everywhere embrace the new technology.

This is according to a new report from Google, based on a poll of 2,000 global IT leaders, which claims confidence in the security of cloud infrastructure is now “extremely high”.

According to Google, 85 percent of respondents said they felt more secure using this technology, compared to on-prem infrastructure. The remaining 15 percent still believe on-prem is safer.

“This is a clear indication that there are fewer reservations around the efficacy of cloud-based security solutions, signaling an increase in trust as organizations invest in cloud-based infrastructure and solutions,” Google explained in the report.

The Covid-19 pandemic has forced many businesses to move to a cloud environment to ensure their survival in the face of unprecedented change. But that shift has also resulted in a broader attack surface that needed to be remedied.

“Suddenly, enterprises were keenly aware of where business practices, employee training, and security policies were falling short,” the report says.

Security risks and concerns are still the key roadblocks to innovation, the report concludes, surpassed only by insufficient IT and developer skills. Cloud-based security seems to have come as a much-needed remedy.

Sead Fadilpašić is a freelance tech writer and journalist with more than 17 years experience writing technology-focussed news, blogs, whitepapers, reviews, and ebooks. And his work has featured in online media outlets from all over the world, including Al Jazeera Balkans (where he was a Multimedia Journalist), Crypto News, TechRadar Pro, and IT Pro Portal, where he has written news and features for over five years. Sead's experience also includes writing for inbound marketing, where he creates technology-based content for clients from London to Singapore. Sead is a HubSpot-certified content creator.